Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Brayden's birth story



I'm going to try and write Brayden's birth story to the best of my knowledge but I'm gonna be honest, I truly do not remember most of that day. It is the weirdest thing but it's honestly felt  like I blacked out and can only recall certain memories throughout the day. I had so much anxiety leading up to Brayden's delivery and night before he was born, I had Ben and my dad give me a blessing of comfort and I feel like Heavenly Father totally put me at ease that day that I was able to relax and not worry about anything. 
Ben and I decided that we wanted to start a family September 2008. It was a year after we had been married. From a young age I knew I was going to have trouble getting pregnant. I was presently surprised when I found out I was pregnant that January only to miscarry a few weeks later. To say that  I was devastated would be an understatement.  I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen to us, that was until we had another miscarriage about 5 months later. I did not understand why we were having to go through such a hard trial of starting our family. I did have a feeling though that  something was wrong and we needed to get some answers. We saw a wonderful OB/GYN ( Dr. Harty ) in Spokane, Wa that discovered I had a blood clotting disorder called " Factor Five Lieden Deficiency " and discovering this, we knew that if/when we got pregnant again, we would need to start medication right away. So, In January 2011 (with help from our favorite Dr.Andy here in cda, Id) we found out that we were finally pregnant again. I was so excited and felt like my answers had finally been answered. I started a blood thinner right away. It was a shot that I had to give myself everyday. I truly didn't care what I had to do though, I was just so happy that it finally happened for us. I had a wonderful pregnancy other than the shots.
My Dr. and I talked about an induction for my birth plan because I was on a blood thinner, I wouldn't be able to receive an epidural  if I had taken my medication within a 24 hour time period so we both that it would be best if we could control the timing of it with being induced. 
We arrived at the hospital around 9:00am and had to answer lots of questions and do a lot of waiting around because they were just switching over to a new program on the computers. I got my IV and started my pitocin  around 11:00am 
My Dr. came in and broke my water and told my I was 3cm and I could get my epidural anytime I wanted. My contactions weren't that bad at that point, but I had a feeling a should get it anyway. After my water was broken things really started moving along. 
We ordered my epidural, but there was only one anesthesiologist working and he was busy with other patients. I remember starting to feel very uncomfortable and was starting to cry. My nurse asked my if I would like some IV meds before the anesthesiologist got to my room and I couldn't say YES fast enough. 
After my IV meds were given I was really able to relax. Shortly after, I received my epidural and was able to relax even more for an hour or so before things took a turn for the worst. 
I remember closing my eyes when I felt a nurse taping me on the shoulder and said to me " hey sweetie, do you think you can move to the other side for me"? I did. And then, 2 or 3 more nurses came into my room adjusting my monitor and flipping me in all sorts of positions. And then, 2 more nurses entered to room.  I knew at this point that something was wrong. About 30 seconds later, Andy ( my wonderful Dr.) came into my room and checked me and said I was 9cm. I was so happy that I was that far along. I told Ben to call my mom and Aunt back to the room. Andy, went over to the monitor ( which didn't have an alarm, so I didn't know what everybody was looking at ) Andy, came back to my bed to check me again and said " Okay your 10cm and ready to push" I was nervous and this point and he could tell that I was scared and I remember he looking at me said "Everything is going to be okay, but we need to get the baby out very quickly" He told me that  If he didn't come out after 3 pushes then I would have to get a C-section. After he said that, I immediately started crying. Nurses were running all over the room, trying to set up for delivery. 
Andy, told me he was going to try and help me by using the vacuum.  I pushed once and everybody in the room started cheering me on, saying I was doing a great job, but then I felt the vacuum pop off. I pushed a second time. Same thing. I tried one last time and I looked at Ben just smiling so big because he could see Brayden's head. I was so excited. I thought he was almost out and then Andy said " Okay, we're done." Not knowing what was going on, I replied " Is he out"? 
The next thing I know,  I have nurses all around my bedside messing with my IV, unlocking my bed and then they were literally running me down the hall into the operating room. I was SO scared. Tears were pouring out of my eyes and I was looking all around for Ben but he wasn't there. They transfered me to the operating table and I can hear my doctor yelling "Hurry, give me local anesthesia". I didn't have time to get a spinal so I was so grate ful that I got my epidural when I did. He quickly started poking my tummy saying " Kimmy, can you feel this"? I really wasn't sure, I was just so upset and scared at that time, so I just said "No, I don't think so" I remember as he was getting ready to cut hearing Brayden's heart monitor going crazy, but I still didn't even know why I was getting a C-section at this point. We thought he was stuck or something. 
Andy  pulls him and and I catch a glimpse of him being carried to the table. He was completely blue and not crying. I couldn't even breath because I was crying so hard. It seemed like they were working on him forever and finally.... He takes a breath. Everybody started clapping and cheering. Right after that Ben was able to come into the room.  I instantly felt comforted once he was able to stand by me. After Brayden was cleaned off they rushed him off to the nursery to try and get an IV in  him to give him extra fluids/med since his heart rate was so low. Ben went with Brayden and I finished getting put back together I guess you could say.
I had a doctor or nurse at my side at all times wiping my tears, rubbing my head and running back and forth between the nursery and operating room giving me update and taking pictures of him on their phones to show me what he looked like, and how cute he was! 
After surgery I had to go to recovery and I just remember being in SO much pain. I was crying in the recovery room for probably a good hour and a half. Mostly, because I was just so upset about what had just happen. I was sad I couldn't hold him. I was sad I didn't get to, and will probably never get to experience a natural birth. I was sad that my family didn't get to be with me, and had no idea what was going on. And, I was sad that Ben was away from me and I was all alone.
I finally started feeling better and I got some pain meds in me and after what seemed like forever they told me I could go to my room to see Brayden. I was so excited and nervous and the same time. They rolled me in my bed through the waiting room and when we entered through the doors I saw my mom stand up and run over to me. I instantly started bawling and couldn't even say anything to her. She just kissed me on the head and told me how beautiful Brayden was.
I finally get to my room and they tell Ben and he can bring Brayden into me. I literally could not stop crying to save my life but when I was finally able to hold him, I was the happiest and most defining moment of my life. I will never forget it for as long as I live. I remember thinking how peaceful and precious his perfect little face looked. I continued to hold him and cry for a good 30 minutes, not saying anything. 
I had an extremely scary, painful and emotional delivery but It was the BEST day of my life. 
I am incredibly grate ful for moder medice, technology  and most importantly a wonderful doctor that took such good care of me and kept me at ease through the whole delivery. During surgery Andy kept saying " wow, you're doing such a good job Kimmy! ( Like I was doing anything at all :) 
I'm so grate ful that Heavenly Father let me be Brayden's mom. He is the best blessing in our lives.
We love you Brayden!

   









4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is crazy Kimberly! I had no idea you had such a tumultuous delivery. I am thankful he is here and he is adorable. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben told Scott the story but reading it from your perspective is insane! That is so scary! I have a friend that was in your exact situation, 2 miscarriages before diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder and now with the help of heparin and progesterone she's got two cute kids and is pregnant again! It really is amazing what medicine can do these days. Congratulations! We love you guys and little Brayden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim that was amazing. It made me cry it had so much emotion in it. I couldn't imagine going through that. Brayden is so adorable now and we are so glad he is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girls. We are so happy everything turned out okay too. I love my little family so much

      Delete